Welcome

© Copyright 2008-2012 All Rights Reserved.
http://www.keanemusic.com/

Twitter Updates

    Follow me on Twitter

    Saturday 25 April 2009

    Jesse Quin: Creating A Monster - Keanemx Interview


    Hi Jesse. First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to answer these questions that hopefully will prove to be entertaining (at least a bit!).


    First of all, how are you?
    Muy bien! Gracias! Actually, that’s not true, I have a cold and I’m feeling very sorry for myself! You’ll probably notice as you read that I’m in a bad mood! Ha ha.

    We'd like to start talking about your musical background? Where did your interest in music begin?
    Well there was always a lot of music in my house. The first record I fell in love with was Yellow Magic Orchestra’s first album when I was still a toddler. My mum and dad used to play it to me on big headphones and I carried the record around with me everywhere I went. Apparently I liked looking at the cover too. It had a picture on the front of a Japanese lady with a fan but she had cables instead of hair. I still like them and I got Tim into them last year and we went to see them live. It was fun. They’re all about 70 but one of them still plays the drums. Way cool.

    We’ve noticed you play several instruments. Out of curiosity, how many instruments can you play?
    Not very many really. Drums, guitar, bass and keyboard. Just enough to make a lot of noise. I need to practise the piano more.

    Have you participated in other projects besides Keane and The Mets?

    Yes, I’ve played with lots of people. I’m very lucky. I’m also lucky to be able to say that everyone I’ve ever played with has been really good. Keane’s definitely the biggest band I’ve played with though.

    Tell us about Jesse Quin and the Mets? How did you start, etc?
    I had another band called The Ordinance, which kind of turned into The Mets. It was time for a change. The Ordinance was VERY frustrating and The Mets is great fun!

    Why the name of Jesse Quin and the Mets?
    When I was growing up my Dad used to always tell that’s what I should call my band. So I did! He’s pretty smart so I usually pay attention when he tells me I should do something.

    How would you define the music of JQ & the Mets?
    Copy cats.

    Are you considering or planning any future releases of your own or with the Mets?
    Yes indeed! I’m doing as much Mets work as I can.

    What do you feel was your most important contribution during the recording process of Perfect Symmetry?
    The humour. I just bought ALL of the great jokes.

    What’s your favourite song from Perfect Symmetry?
    Either You Don’t See Me or You Haven’t Told Me Anything. I would say My Shadow but it’s not really on the album.

    Keane have been doing it together as a three-piece for several years now, was it difficult to adapt to their ways?
    Not at all. They’re all very, very nice guys and very easy to get along with as friends and they also have a very open work ethos where everyone is allowed to say what they think without being shot down. They live in the here and now as well, not the past. So the fact that they’ve know each other so long is never really obvious.

    It's been over a year since you started playing with the band. How do you think your performance has evolved from standing on one spot during the first shows, to rocking the ego ramp in the UK tour?
    Well the hardest thing from my perspective is knowing how much to rock out. I’m not a member of Keane, I’m a session musician. So it’s important I’m not too obvious. Usually session musicians stand at the back and you don’t notice them too much but with Keane, because there are only three of them it would probably look a bit strange if I just stood at the back. Also, Tim and Richard can’t run around. So it probably helps if I do a little bit so the stage is more exciting. Either way, it’s very difficult to stand still when you’re on stage in front of thousands of people with loud music in your ears! They encourage me to run down the ramp and rock out and stuff. They’re creating a monster!

    The last couple of months you've toured throughout Europe and the UK. What was that like?
    Well it was great being on a bus and not having to fly. Firstly because I hate flying but secondly because you do all the travelling while you’re asleep and you have a little home everywhere you go. It’s really boring constantly moving from hotel to hotel. The crowds were really brilliant as well. Keane crowds always make me feel very welcome which is nice.

    What has been the fans’ reaction? Were you nervous about interacting with the crowd?
    It’s very difficult when people don’t know who you are to go up to them and be in their faces trying to get them going. The Keane fans who know who I am are the ones that make the show great for me. Their energy and support fires me up. It’s awful when the front row don’t give me their energy. Imagine how you would feel standing in front of ten thousand people that didn’t know you and looked at you funny and you had to run around making a fool of yourself. Not a nice feeling! Fortunately it very rarely happens.

    Occasionally, fans can be very generous. Have you gotten anything nice or extraordinary?
    I’ve had loads of nice gifts. Lots of cool t-shirts and chocolates and things. But the best gift that they ever give me is when they shout and wave to me in the crowd. That’s the one thing that I really love because it makes me feel that I’m good at my job.

    What’s the main difference between working with the other projects and with Keane?
    With Keane there is A LOT more equipment and schedules and things but much less to do! I don’t have to set up or pack up my equipment, which is nice! We get fed nice food as well! It’s all a lot less stressful.

    Is this your first visit to Mexico/Latin America?
    Yes it is. I love it. The weather is great and the cities I’ve seen so far have been amazing. There’s only one real problem with touring Mexico and South America and that’s all the flying. 16 flights in 3 weeks. Horrible.

    What were your expectations for this tour?
    I didn’t really have any because I’d never been here before. There was about 100 people at Bogotá airport when we arrived which was pretty insane. So far so good!

    Have you enjoyed the shows in Mexico so far?
    The Mexican shows were sooo great! The crowds were AMAZING!

    We’re not professional journalists but what do you think of this interview so far? [If you think it sucks, then stop now, if you like it, carry on to the next question]

    Describe what you'd consider the ultimate fresh trainer.
    Ooh, I’m glad you asked! For Christmas, Keane’s manager very kindly let us all design custom Nike trainers and then he ordered them. The one’s I’ve designed are without doubt, the freshest trainers you are EVER going to see. They haven’t arrived yet though. They’re blue, yellow and orange. YOW!!

    Complete: The instrument I play the best is the fool and the one I suck at is the violin .

    Complete: Before the tour started, the thing I forgot to put in my suitcase was: Nothing. I always pack WAY too much stuff. I’ve had to off load half of it into the dressing room trunk because my suitcase was going to explode.

    Some records you would like to recommend.
    Off the top of my head: The Joshua Tree by U2, Peaceful The World Lays Me Down by Noah & The Whale and Mermaid Avenue by Billy Bragg & Wilco.

    Last gig you attended (not a Keane one, of course!)
    Oh dear. I haven’t been to one for a while actually. The last one I remember going to was Metallica at the O2. Richard and I went and it was VERY loud and VERY good. I need to go to more but when you spend your whole life at gigs it’s the last thing you want to when you have time off!

    Mention 3 things you know about Mexico (besides Tequila!)
    Number one. Mexico produced Frida Kahlo who is one of my very favourite artists. In fact, most of my favourite art is Mexican. A lot of it’s very macabre. I like that. Number two. People in Mexico speak Spanish except they seem to say ‘S’ instead of ‘TH’ like they do in Spain. Number three. Everyone’s very friendly. I got sunburned the first day we were there because I couldn’t find a cash point or a super market to buy sun-cream. When I finally did I was getting quite red and the ladies in the shop, although they didn’t speak English, gave me lots of friendly help and free moisturiser samples because they seemed to think I was getting wrinkly.

    Some questions inspired by Mr Tom Chaplin.

    What do you think of England?
    Full of anger.

    What do you think of bongos?

    Full of fun (as long as no one’s watching).

    What do you think of badgers?
    Full of worms.

    What do you think of Keane fans?

    Full of passion.

    Complete: If these two lunatics ever ask me again for an interview I will definitely accept the request.

    Hopefully you had fun answering this, as much as we had setting it up. Wish you (and the band of course) all the best for the Latin-American tour. Good luck and thanks!

    Lots of love,

    Ana and Alejandra – www.keanemx.com
    -
    Note: If you didn´t understand some things and/or you want to see the interview on spanish, click here.