Welcome

© Copyright 2008-2012 All Rights Reserved.
http://www.keanemusic.com/

Twitter Updates

    Follow me on Twitter

    Saturday 3 October 2009

    Tim Talks About The Mini-Album And The Band's Future

    One of the most successful British bands of the last half-decade
    is London’s Keane. Arriving five years ago with their debut Hopes
    and Fears, the guitar free trio followed in Coldplay’s early
    success, prodding the listener with biting piano pop that stormed
    the charts both at home and abroad. Now, fast–forward five
    years, and Keane is equally as successful three albums in, if not
    more so. Yet, the dark piano–pop slapped on Hopes and Fears
    was expanded upon on the last two albums, Under the Iron Sea
    and more recently, Perfect Symmetry. But Perfect Symmetry
    landed nearly two years ago, and the band has been busy at
    work, mostly crossing the globe playing gigs and intermittingly
    recording back home in London. And what comes next,
    according to pianist Tim Rice–Oxley, is anybody’s guess. “I think
    the story of a band takes many years to be told,” replies the
    songwriter, who shares duties with vocalist Tom Chaplin. “My
    hope is that as we continue to prove that we are musically brave
    and hungry, people will continue to be intrigued and excited by
    our music. Personally, I didn’t get in to U2 until they released
    Achtung Baby, and similarly I’m sure there are many people who
    weren't into Keane after Hopes and Fears who suddenly found
    that they got a kick out of Perfect Symmetry.”
    After another lengthy tour taking them from Japan to
    Kitchener and back, Keane will prep a mini-album of sorts, a set
    of new songs and odds and ends set for release early next year.
    “We’ve made another record, albeit what we’re calling a “mini–
    album”,” reveals Rice–Oxley. “We did it mostly while we’ve been
    on the road. There should be four or five new songs on there,
    plus a couple of other stragglers —remixes and such like — and
    it’s going to be a really interesting piece of work. There are two
    songs that we did in collaboration with the genius Somalian rapper K’naan — sometime resident of your fine country — and
    they’re really different for Keane. One of them is one of the most
    instant and accessible tracks we've ever done I think. Aside form
    that, I’ve been writing whenever I can, although I don’t find it
    easy on tour. I’ve got one song pretty much in the bag that I
    think could be a future single, but everything else is flotsam and
    jetsam at the moment, waiting to be kicked into shape once we
    get off the road.”
    This mini–album is not just a stopgap solution in between
    albums, stressed Rice–Oxley. Instead, it’s a completely new work
    in its own right, and one in which the band is excited to see
    unleashed as another addition to their catalogue. “Most of it is
    recorded and mixed already, as we’ve worked really hard on it
    while we’ve been traveling, going into studios all over the world
    and working on the tour bus all night,” adds Rice–Oxley. To me,
    the songs are pretty philosophical, K’naan’s influence possibly,
    except one that is a kind of Fleetwood Mac–style love song. I
    guess that’s because with the very new stuff that isn’t finished
    yet, I’ve found myself reaching back to the very basic things I feel
    passionately about, like old friends, hopes, regrets, small town
    dreams and disappointments, and the ruthless passage of time.”
    Until that, the band will simply hit the road, debuting new
    songs alongside older favourites, as Rice–Oxley is promising a
    strong assembly of both at the Kitchener gig. “There’ll be a
    bunch of new songs, all the old favourites, maybe a cover and
    maybe a few songs played acoustically,” continues Rice–Oxley. To
    be honest, it depends what we’re feeling on the day, but I
    promise it will be a lot of fun. Plus, Tom is one of the best
    frontmen around, and I can guarantee that he will be racing
    around the stage and doing everything humanly possible to get people singing and dancing. We really love playing live, more so
    than ever before, and we go out there with a fire and a
    determination to entertain that I hope is pretty irresistible to any
    crowd.”
    Yet, despite all Keane’s success, the band feels that they
    have just begun, and that a fresh piece of slate is being prepared
    once more. “To me, we really have just begun,” concludes Rice–
    Oxley. “You always have to write as the person you really are, and
    not believe the hype about being a rock star or whatever, as that
    doesn’t mean anything. When I listen to music I want to hear
    about things I can relate to, and I want to know that the writer is
    giving me access to their most personal and honest thoughts and
    ideas. It's not always easy to do that when you live in the bubble
    that comes with being in a band, but that's what I hope we will
    always do.” Keane headline Centre in the Square on Saturday,
    September 19th. Lights support.

    -

    Source